Venice, Italy is one of those cities that just overflows with romance. But what can you do to make it even more romantic? You really can have the perfect evening of romance there no matter what you do, but here are a few tips to help draw all of that Italian romance out:
• Wander. Go hand in hand with the one you love and wander. As the day winds down (or for that matter, during the day), take the untrodden path and just explore. Venice is full of hidden alleys and off the beaten path streets that may lead you to wonderful treasures, and some great hand holding time, too! It’s always fun to see how the locals live, and Venice is so small it’s hard to get really lost. If you do, just ask how to get back to St. Mark’s Square or the Rialto – everyone knows where those are.
• Stop at Harry’s Bar and have a Bellini. Sure, it’s a touristy thing to do, but you are, after all, a tourist. Harry’s has a rich history and it is where Ernest Hemingway spent lots of time; he even had his own table. It’s a tiny little place, but the history is huge.
• Take a gondola ride. Though pretty much only the tourists ride in gondolas these days, it is one of those Venice things to do. If this is too over the top for you, take a ride through the Grand Canal on a Vaporetto (water bus). It’s a great way to see the city, and a sunset ride can be molto romantic.
• Have dinner on the water. This is one of those romantic things everyone should get to do. Lots of restaurants have waterfront dining. Pick a true Venetian spot, maybe out of the way a bit, and enjoy some excellent, local Italian food along with some good wine, and sip some espresso as the city winds down.
- Destination Venice Italy: Summer Romance
- New York City is for Couples
- France: a Feast for the Senses
- Italy: Old & New Collide with Amore!
- Off Italy’s Beaten Path: Cinque Terre